This is inspired by the recipe here: http://www.recipedelights.com/recipes/Contributors/palakchicken.htm
- Chicken: 2 large breasts
- Spinach (Palak): 1 bunch (enough to fill a big pot when fresh)
- Shallots: 1 big one, thinly sliced (you can probably use an onion here if you want)
- Garlic: 4 cloves plus 2 spoons of garlic paste
- Serrano Chillies: 6-8 (modify to taste. This many leaves it medium-low spiciness for me)
- Cilantro: (finely chopped) Handful
- Cloves: 4
- Cinnamon: 1 stick
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Plain Non-Fat Yogurt: 3/4 cup
- Oil for frying
- 2-3 tsp salt (or, one generous palm of your hand :-p)
- Mince the shallots, garlic and green chillies.
- Cube the chicken
- Steam the spinach until it is soft. Switch off and set aside
- Heat 1 - 2 tsp oil in a wok/pan.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf. Fry for a minute.
- Add shallots until they brown.
- Add garlic, green chillies and cilantro.
- Add spinach to this mixture.
- Fry this mixture for a couple of minutes and then take it off the heat.
- Use a blender to grind the spinach mixture to paste, adding yogurt as needed.
- Heat a little more oil in your wok.
- Add the spinach paste once the oil is hot.
- Add the rest of the plain yogurt.
- Once the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, add chicken and salt.
- Cook on low heat till the chicken is done.
This tastes great over plain basmati rice!